Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Some Stats

Alright. I'm going on a missions trip this summer to Philly, which is only three miles away from my house. I've been asked a lot of questions about it lately, most of which sound like this: "Why Philly? I mean, you might as well just stay home and sleep all day."

Here's a short recap of why:

The average SAT score in Philadelphia is 800...out of a possible 2400. That's the lowest score possible.
24.5% of Philly residents live below the poverty line.
There are an estimated 7,000 homeless people living in Center City.
Philadelphia has the highest murder rate in the nation.
Many are employed but are part of the "working poor;" that is, they have jobs but they are entry-level or minimum-wage positions. Due to the poor educational system, many cannot advance in the workplace.


Does this sound right? Does this bother you?
It should.

Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

Whatever you did for the least of these, you did for Him.

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." (Luke 4:18-19)

Be the change.

2 comments:

to touch the stars said...

That's...
I never knew.
*shakes head*

Kudos to you though, for going on a missions trip and being the change you want to see in the world, as well as serving Chris. I hope things go well.

I'll be praying for you.

~Steffi

Anonymous said...

whoa those stats are not good at all! especially the SAT scores. idk how thats even possible!