Sunday, June 15, 2008

Help! I'm being eaten!

It is only fitting that on Friday the 13th, I would fall in love with Marilyn Manson's music.
My new love stems from some conversations about wedding dresses that I had with Steffi. I saw Manson and Dita von Teese's wedding picture (her dress was this gorgeous purpley-blue affair, and the wedding was in a freakin' castle, complete with falconry) and started to wonder what his music was like. So I LimeWired him and gave his stuff a spin on my iPod.

That's where the title of this post comes in. A band that I like somewhat has a song that states, "Marilyn Manson ate my girlfriend/Satan consumed her mind/And he may do it again." (Coincidentally, Manson's latest release is titled Eat Me, Drink Me. xD) Don't worry--he is not feasting on my mind; instead, I'm feasting on his music. It was rather ironic, actually. Yesterday, on the way up to NYC, my dad had a Smitty CD playing in the car. Meanwhile, I was listening to Manson on my iPod. xD So ironic.

I'm expecting some criticism and stuff from my Christian peers.

I know, I know, I know.

He's freaky looking and has some....interesting ideas.

But the guy is talented. Really, really talented, both lyrically and musically.

Some of his lyrics are disturbing, I admit. But one should view them through a certain lense. If we compare Manson's work to that of Poe, Whitman, or Dickinson, his lyrics aren't all that troubling. The language is different, true; the basic prinicples are very similar. Also, you have to understand that he's pretty much just an attention whore. He wants to make waves and stir things up. That's what's behind his crazy antics; if we didn't give a crap about them, he'd probably stop. xD

Also, I've always been totally blown away by his appearance in Bowling for Columbine. When asked what he would say to the Columbine shooters if he had a chance to talk to them, Manson replied, "I wouldn't say a single word to them; I would listen to what they have to say, and that's what no one did." The enormity of this statement is indescribable. It's so...powerful that I don't know how to begin explaining it. So I'll just let you think about that for awhile.

I also love his political views. "...I refuse to vote, because if I have to align myself with any party, I'd come closest to a Libertarian, but I don't think I can call myself anything."

He's all about changing the way our culture works--defying the consumerism and the weird suburbanite conformity. Which is really what I, as a Christian, feel led to do.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for guys with eyeliner.

3 comments:

to touch the stars said...

Ooh, wow. I'm not sure, the fact that he's insisted about being an antiChrist rather turns me off. (Naturally so, I would think) But I see what you are seeing, to be sure. Nice point. However, his lyrics are a bit more....obscene then say Dickinson and Whitman, and I wouldn't listen to him, being me. And I rather hate his style of music too. I love true gothic music....not what he does.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....you use his quote about Columbine...but is he really blaming us for their terrible actions? Like, he is saying we didn't listen, so they had to shoot a bunch of people at school in order to make the world know they should have listened. Isn't he assuming the wrold is at fault? This statement reeks of the "it's everyones fault but the people who actually committed the crime" philospohy...can you defend against this charge?

Anonymous said...

very nice. i was familiar with marilyn manson's history but not really his music or what he's involved in now..i'll have to check it out. ;]