Sunday, July 13, 2008

Yetserday I got home from Philly. After leaving the CSM housing site my group went to this girl's Main Line house to swim and chill. (It's Allen Iverson's old home.) The pool was ridiculous. It had freakin' waterfalls.

As tired as I was, it was difficult to enjoy the house and pool. It seemed so unjust that people enjoy such ridiculous luxury while they completely ignore the struggles going on literally ten minutes down the road.

I brought this up to a couple of the girls on the trip--whom I consider friends--and their reaction just broke me into smithereens. They said I was being to serious, making too big a deal out of it. "Why can't you just relax and enjoy it?" they asked.

Is it stupid to see literally blocks upon blocks of abandoned houses and know that the average age of a homeless person is nine years old and then think that suburban culture is unjust?
Is it stupid to get pissed off because the city spends more money on outdoor artwork than they do on homelessness?
And is it stupid to refuse to jump right back into this individualistic suburban culture where all that matters is what you have and what you can get for yourself?
Is it stupid to blatantly refuse to accept it?

I don't think so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NO.
Can you clone yourself and like evenly distribute yourself around this fat country? Please do so upon your earliest convenience.